Draft Boards, Mock Drafts, and such
I looked at half a dozen different mock drafts and draft boards, for information, but also because it’s kind of fun. Here’s what I found:
- The top three picks on almost every mock, are quarterbacks Trevor Lawrence of Clemson, Justin Fields from Ohio State, and the offensive tackle Penei Sewell, from Oregon.
- Other consensus top ten picks so far appear to be linebacker Micah Parsons from Penn State, wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase from LSU, and cornerback Patrick Surtain II from Alabama.
- There doesn’t appear to be a Chase-Young quality edge rusher, a monster defensive tackle or a world-class safety in this draft.
- Going down the draft boards, it looks like 4-6 quarterbacks will be taken in the first round.
- There are also a few other first-round quality offensive tackles, and maybe four worthy cornerbacks.
- Let me repeat, this appears to be an elite cornerback-heavy draft. (On the other hand, there usually seems to be three or four cornerbacks taken in the first round, so maybe I’m projecting here.)
Of course, a lot of this can change. Draft boards always fluctuate until the week before the draft. And things can especially change a lot, given that college football is still being played.
There are football players out there who have yet to make their mark. And somebody, sadly, will probably get injured. It always happens. But given what we know, let’s look at some possible strategies for the Cowboys in the first round.