The king in Dallas is Ezekiel Elliott. The formula for the Dallas Cowboys is simple: Feed Zeke. Feed him now and feed him often. 3-2 here we come?
The fall to a 1-3 record was on the horizon for the Dallas Cowboys. Instead, the Cowboys defeated the Detroit Lions in style, sending them home with a 1-3 record. For now, the Cowboys move forward with their heads up, powered by their hungry running back.
Let’s not kid ourselves, the Cowboys served up their best weapon last Sunday in big headline letters, but the Lions couldn’t stop Zeke. Sure, Detroit came in with the worst rushing defense in the league. But the truth is they couldn’t stop him in the air either.
Elliott, along with his 152 rushing yards, helped the Cowboys secure their second win with four catches and 88 yards along with a receiving score. He was the Cowboys best runner and receiver in one game.
The headline coming into the game against the Lions was how the team would respond after a forgettable performance in Seattle. The offensive play calling was horrendous. The front line needed to play better. And quarterback Dak Prescott needed to find his aim and range again. This win over the Lions doesn’t punch the Cowboys playoff tickets, but it sure was the right direction for a team with little to no identity in 2018.
For a change, the Cowboys left the game with more answers than questions. With 25 percent of the NFL season over, the ‘Boys found a higher gear by reverting back to their former selves. Of course, number 21 can’t mask all the problems on the offense. But, last Sunday showed that Zeke can perform at MVP levels to carry this team.
The winning formula is clear: Feed Zeke.
• If you visit Dallas, be sure to stop over The Star in Frisco. Simply put, this is a must stop for any Dallas Cowboys fan. Just be sure to pick up tour tickets in advance. This writer missed out on the tour, but hey, I have an excuse to come back.
• Dak Prescott pulled out a nice comeback. I was at the stadium and I couldn’t watch sometimes. Oh, you know, the “pick six” jitters was boiling up in my system. But Prescott pulled off a fine performance.
• The Zeke over the shoulder catch was a thing of beauty to witness in real life, in the flesh. This is why Elliott was taken so high in the 2016 NFL Draft. The guy can run. The guy can catch. What a nice grab!
• I’ll be interested to see how offensive coordinator handles the Houston Texans next week. With 3-2 on the line, it’s obvious teams will back off a bit at the line of scrimmage to cover Prescott’s passes. Will Zeke run loose?
• You have the best offensive line in the football. You have the best running back as well. Will Linehan continue to throw at the goal line, or will they feed Zeke? For what’s it worth, I’d put your money where your mouth is and hand Elliott the ball when inside the five-yard line.