Dallas Cowboys Dynasty: The Missing Defensive Pieces
Dynamic Middle Linebacker
I believe that the Cowboys already have this player on the roster in the form of 2016 2nd round pick Jaylon Smith. As is well documented, Jaylon Smith had a severe knee injury in his final college game that included nerve damage.
More from The Landry Hat
- 3 ways Cowboys’ Dak Prescott can have a bounce-back season in 2023
- Cowboys News: Dallas sets pre-draft visit with potential Dalton Schultz upgrade
- NFL executives heaping praise on offseason is uncharted territory for Cowboys
- 3 free agent signings from NFC East rivals that left Cowboys fans laughing
- Cowboys News: Brandin Cooks sends flattering message to CeeDee Lamb, Stephon Gilmore
All indications are that Smith will be ready for the 2017 season and the Cowboys are optimistic that he will be a significant difference maker for the defense.
Having a dynamic middle linebacker that is an athletic freak with great size and football instincts changes the way opposing offenses game plan for a 4-3 Tampa 2 defensive scheme.
The middle linebacker is responsible for the center of the deep part of the field when in cover 2 defense, and having an athletic freak back there that can really cover some ground helps take away the seam routes down the middle of the field.
Jaylon Smith is a once in a generation type of talent. His effort and focus on rehab to come back from his injury is a great example of the character that this man child possesses. If he is near full health when the 2017 season starts, I get the feeling that it won’t be long before Jaylon Smith is a household name.