LA’EL COLLINS (Right offensive tackle)
La’el Collins having success won’t come as a shock. The former first round talent started 15 games the last two seasons.
More from The Landry Hat
- 3 ways Cowboys’ Dak Prescott can have a bounce-back season in 2023
- Cowboys News: Dallas sets pre-draft visit with potential Dalton Schultz upgrade
- NFL executives heaping praise on offseason is uncharted territory for Cowboys
- 3 free agent signings from NFC East rivals that left Cowboys fans laughing
- Cowboys News: Brandin Cooks sends flattering message to CeeDee Lamb, Stephon Gilmore
What will raise eyebrows is the solid play the former left guard provides at tackle.
There’s a reason coaches don’t even mention his new position when discussing options along the offensive line.
Collins has settled in at right tackle far more naturally than expected. As shown by practice clips, he brings a new level of power to the spot.
Doug Free was always more of a finesse player who relied on technique and veteran savvy. Collins already is showing more brute power on the edge.
His mobility is another big plus as he pulled in space often when playing guard.
It’s difficult to be a significant upgrade over Free as he was a good player. But fans will be surprised when Collins takes it up another notch beyond his predecessor.