Oct 21, 2012; Charlotte, NC, USA; Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones point to the fans prior to the game against the Carolina Panthers at Bank of America Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports
2. “The man who fired Tom Landry…JERRY JONES!”
If Tony Romo is hated on a national scale, Jerry Jones would then have to be hated on a world scale. Anytime BOTH Cowboys fans AND Cowboys haters’ wish to burn you at the cross, you know you will be high on the list of why people hate the Dallas Cowboys. Some fans might ask, “How is Jerry not number one on this list?” Valid question, but I have been doing my research and the overwhelming number one reason is still to come.
For the record, Jerry Jones was not wrong to fire Tom Landry. Jerry Jones WAS wrong to fire Tom Landry WHEN and HOW he did. The media and fans alike were calling for Tom Landry’s head after his 3-13 campaign in 1988. H.R. “Bum” Bright (the guy who bought the team from original owner Clint Murchison Jr. in 1984) wanted to simply call a press conference and announce the firing without Landry even knowing beforehand. Jerry Jones did not care about the rich Dallas Cowboys history, he was focused solely on the winning future of the club and that rubbed most fans the wrong way.
Most logical people knew deep down that the game had caught up to Landry after 29 years, but Landry was reluctant to change his ways (can’t blame an icon that stuck with what worked for over 20 years). Most then knew it was time for Landry to retire his playbook, but the manner Jerry handled it is what struck a national firestorm of hatred down on Jerry’s head, and rightfully so.
I could go on and on with the many reasons why people hate Jerry Jones but I think I might bloody my fingertips before I was done. From always wanting to be intimately involved with the team, to his failed baseball-to-football project quarterbacks, (Quincy, Chad, Drew Henson) to of course the way he fumbled the Landry firing; WE ALL know Jerry receives his share of hate mail.
So if Jerry Jones is NOT number one, who or what could be? You and I of course!
Sep 5, 2012; East Rutherford, NJ, USA; Dallas Cowboys fan prior to the game against the New York Giants at MetLife Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jim O
1. And the award goes to… “THE FANS!”
US? What did we do? With the fans being the overwhelming favorite, I was forced to break US down into three main categories.
- A. “When in a football conversion, Cowboys fans wish to dominate the conversation and talk about ONLY the Cowboys.” I blame this one on the passion ALL Cowboys share. When we’re talking football, naturally we want to discuss the ‘Boys in depth. I know I am personally bad about this one. With my knowledge of my favorite team, oftentimes, I tend to intimidate other football fans with my knowledge to the point where they are just silent and nodding along. So to all the haters’ out there, I for one apologize…that I am more knowledgeable about my team that you are your team!
- B. “We are ALWAYS talking noise and constantly instigating on social media” Now this one, I take no part in. If I can avoid it, I don’t like taking it, so I rarely if ever dish it out and all my friends (and Houston fans) respect me for it. But I can’t speak for the masses of Dallas fans out there across the country. Most of my friends and family fall in this boat. It’s no secret Cowboys Nation are a loud and proud bunch, and most Dallas fans show their pride in far different ways. In my case, most of the time, I am just defending myself and my team…OFTEN! But too many others take it to another level and give Dallas fans a bad name. And frankly, you know who you are. I have been in more quarrels and “Facebook wars” with DALLAS FANS than any other teams’ fans because of these types of fans. Take it down a few notches!
- C. “We live in the PAST and ALWAYS point to PAST success and PAST Super Bowls titles WHENEVER possible” As mentioned earlier, success breeds hatred. Success in the sporting world also unfortunately breeds ignorant fans. That’s just the way it goes in ALL sports, not just football. Again, I personally do not brag about Super Bowls won when I was nine (1992 season), ten (1993 season) and twelve (1995 season) years old but many Dallas fans do (some not even born then) and it annoys the dickens out of opposing fans.
Now I will say if the haters were in OUR shoes, would they do the exact same thing? ABSOLUTELY, they would! But they are not and that infuriates them beyond belief that we do have five Lombardi Trophies sitting at Valley Ranch. And for the record, Steelers’ and 49ers’ fans do the same thing folks. But as we all know by now, our Cowboys are the MOST hated!
That’s it folks, that’s my list! Hatred just comes along with the territory folks. If you are a die-hard Dallas Cowboys fan and cannot appropriately handle constant blind hatred on a regular basis, you won’t last long! Go root for another team now and save yourself the trouble.
But, do you want to know the line I use with fans that hate on my beloved Cowboys? I give you permission to start using it. I always tell them, “Hatred is the ULTIMATE sign of flattery, so I believe I speak for Cowboys Nation across the globe when I say, I’M FLATTERED!
Add that line to your arsenal folks. You’re welcome! Oh and… “How ‘Bout Them Cowboys!!” Let ’em hate ALL they want!