This may be the most unlikely option, however, a trade could be beneficial for all teams involved. There are several franchises that are currently stocked at the running back position that could be looking to move players as the preseason progresses.
More from The Landry Hat
- 3 ways Cowboys’ Dak Prescott can have a bounce-back season in 2023
- Cowboys News: Dallas sets pre-draft visit with potential Dalton Schultz upgrade
- NFL executives heaping praise on offseason is uncharted territory for Cowboys
- 3 free agent signings from NFC East rivals that left Cowboys fans laughing
- Cowboys News: Brandin Cooks sends flattering message to CeeDee Lamb, Stephon Gilmore
The Cincinnati Bengals have always seemed to be the best dance partner in terms of picking up a running back who could help the team win. They have a new franchise back in Joe Mixon and Jeremy Hill/Giovani Bernard ready to contribute when needed.
A package of picks/or a pick should be enough to tear either Hill or Bernard away from the Bengals. With Bernard coming off of a major injury and offseason surgery, Hill is the best target for the Cowboys at this time.
Hill is a bruising power back who has a nose for the end zone and more shiftiness than any of the other backs currently on the Cowboys roster. While this would be the best of a bad situation, there are several other teams who could be trade partners for Big D.
The Carolina Panthers addition of Christian McCaffrey should eat into the carries of veteran Jonathan Stewart. He could be available if the rookie running back impresses the coaching staff enough to give him permanent starting duties.