Dallas Cowboys Week 3 Pre Season Tilt

Prev2 of 5Next
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse

Instead of Sunday Ticket I end up buying NFL Rewind and watching the games online so that I see every single game. I usually spend a lot of my time in those moments cursing the Cardinals because I usually know whether the Cowboys have won or lost. Losses on those days are the absolute worst. It’s like seeing the waiter sneeze as he brings your food to you and knowing it has been sprayed. Just not very palatable.

I guess who I really can’t stand are the TV station directors who insist we get these games. I have lived in Arizona for 24 years now. Trust me when I say that not many people give a damn about the Cardinals in this state. In fact, of my circle of friends, many of whom are my friends because we share a love of football, I have exactly four who are Cardinals fans. In 24 years that is all I have encountered. I know half that many Saints fans, and we’re nowhere near Louisiana. In fact, I remember an article when the Cardinals made it to the Super Bowl that there were 9 different Steelers Fan Clubs in the Phoenix area at that time, watching games in Steelers bars, and none dedicated to the Cardinals.

Aug 9, 2013; Oakland, CA, USA; Dallas Cowboys running back DeMarco Murray (29) catches a ball for a first down in the first quarter in an preseason game against the Oakland Raiders at O.co Coliseum. Mandatory Credit: Bob Stanton-USA TODAY Sports

How pathetic is that? I’ll tell you how pathetic. You would almost have more luck finding an honest crook. Back in the early and mid 1990′s when the Cowboys were winning Super Bowls I was going to college here. In the evenings and weekends I worked in a sporting goods store. Easily 20% of our sales was Cowboys memorabilia. It was by far our biggest seller, and mind you I am talking all sports, not just football.  Our next biggest seller was Arizona Wildcats stuff of course, but the Cowboys even outsold them. Now, do you suppose the Cardinals were our second biggest NFL seller? You would suppose wrong. The Cardinals trailed the Cowboys, Steelers, 49ers, Packers, and Raiders by a pretty wide margin.

As I mentioned I often went to the games. I can remember games where the blue wearing Cowboys fans dominated the red wearing Cardinals fans by 70% to 30%. In other words, playing the Cardinals in Arizona was a 9th home game for the Cowboys. It pretty much still is. If Bill Bidwell owns 51% of the Cardinals, the Dallas Cowboys and their fans own the other 49%. I will be going to the game today, and I fully expect us to be almost half the fans there, if not more than half given the fact the Cardinals are again slipping down the ranks behind the 49ers, Seahawks, and what looks like an up and coming Rams team.

Prev2 of 5Next
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse
Want more from The Landry Hat?  
Subscribe to FanSided Daily for your morning fix. Enter your email and stay in the know.
  • tedroww1

    you should live in North Carolina ,Panthers

  • Surviving3Daughters

    Ditto, Georgia and the Falcons. Especially when I was a kid and the NFL Ticket did not exist.

  • Little Erich

    The nfl television scheduling rules are dictated by the NFL, not the local program directors.

  • Kevin

    Just when I think you can’t get any more pathetic with your shit writing style, you come back the following week and prove me wrong. You are the one writer who makes me long for Mickey Spagnola. You think you’re proving to the reader what a great fan you are, when you are actually proving what a moron you are.

  • jsmith

    good call on Waters signing chief..nice “inside sources” lmao

5 hours ago

Dallas Fans Anxious for the Draft

9 hours ago

Cowboys 2014 Draft: The Safety Prospect No One Is Talking About

1 day ago

Dallas Cowboys Shouldn’t Worry About Offense