2013 NFL Mock Draft
21. Cincinnati Bengals – Desmond Trufant, Cornerback, Washington: This is another difficult team to project. They covet WR DeAndre Hopkins but this may be about 10 picks too soon for him. They love LB Ogletree but he’s gone. Their biggest needs are in the secondary and offensive line.
Other Possibilities: WR Hopkins, S Elam
22. St. Louis Rams (From Redskins) – Tavon Austin, Wide Receiver, West Virginia: Tyler Eifert and Zach Ertz will be given heavy consideration but losing Amendola leaves them with a glaring hole at WR. They were hoping Patterson would slip through but with him gone, Austin is the selection.
Other Possibilities: TE Eifert, OG Cooper
23. Minnesota Vikings – Keenan Allen, Wide Receiver, California: The Vikings need a WR and have Allen ranked higher than Austin anyway. Allen will give them a legitimate threat to replace Harvin and should give them something to build on for years to come.
Other Possibilities: WR Hopkins, DT’s Williams or Short
24. Indianapolis Colts – Damontre Moore, Defensive End/Outside Linebacker, Texas A&M: The Colts are just thinking defense here in the 1st round. Moore was first projected as a top 5 pick but after a poor combine he finds himself slipping to the end of the draft. Big value pick that could prove to be a steal for the Colts
Other Possibilities: DE Werner, DE Carradine
25. Minnesota Vikings (From Seattle)- Sylvester Williams, Defensive Tackle, North Carolina: This really worked out perfectly for MN since they needed a DT and a WR and they got both. Besides the fact his name is “Williams” and MN loves DT’s named “Williams”, Sylvester is a good fit and a good value at #25.
Other Possibilities: DT Short, TE Eifert
26. Green Bay Packers– Eric Reid, Safety, LSU: Reid is extremely smart (despite attending LSU) and a true playmaker in centerfield. Rated as the top playmaking safety on many team’s draft boards, Eric Reid may even be picked as high as #18.
Other Possibilities: S Cyprien, CB Trufant
27. Houston Texans – DeAndre Hopkins, Wide Receiver, Clemson: The Texans need a WR threat to pair with Andre Johnson. Hopkins could even one day replace the aging Johnson. But for now, he’s a nice complement
Other Possibilities: WR Austin, LB Minter
28. Denver Broncos –Alex Okafor, Defensive End, Texas: A number of defensive line players can fit in here without one clear option, Okafor gets the nod. He has high potential and plays a penetrating style that should fit well in Denver.
Other Possibilities: DE’s Carradine or Moore
29. New England Patriots– Jamar Taylor, Cornerback, Boise State: The Patriots need to get youth in the secondary and Taylor is someone they seem to like. Jamar should be a great player to build on.
Other Possibilities: DT Short, S Reid
30. Atlanta Falcons – Kawann Short, Defensive Tackle, Purdue: The Falcons were hoping Trufant would fall but with him gone they will turn focus to the DL. Tank Carradine is also an option but Short provides extra quickness up the middle that most DT’s can only dream of.
Other Possibilities: DE Carradine, CB Trufant
31. San Francisco 49ers – Jonathan Cyprien, Safety, Florida International: Cyprien has made believers out of many NFL scouts this offseason. With San Fran’s obvious need at safety and Cypriens excellent skills in the middle of the field this could be a match made in heaven. Cyprien could go anywhere from 23-45 in this draft so it should be interesting to see who picks him and when they pick him.
Other Possibilities: S Reid or Elam, TE Eifert
32. Baltimore Ravens – Matt Elam, Safety, Florida: With Safeties, Vaccaro, Reid, and Cyprien off the board the Ravens need to pick the last of the Big 4. He’s a big hitter without a great feel for the pass game so his style will be a departure from what Ed Reed provided. He’s still a great playmaker and if he makes it past Cincy he could fall way down to here. LB’s Te’o and Minter are tempting but need may just overtake the draft board.
Other Possibilities: LB’s Te’o or Minter, S Reid, WR Hunter