2013 NFL Mock Draft
11. San Diego Chargers – Chance Warmack, Guard, Alabama: San Diego NEEDS Lane Johnson to play LT in 2013. This is why I am sure they will be doing anything they can to move up in this draft for a shot at Johnson or even Fisher. If they sit back and wait Warmack will also serve an important purpose although not nearly as pressing.
Other Possibilities: OT Johnson, DT Lotulelei
12. Miami Dolphins – Barkevious Mingo, Defensive End, LSU: Miami is also looking for an OT but without anyone available they will look to the pass-rush at #12. Mingo provides excellent value here and would be an excellent consolation prize.
Other Possibilities: OT’s Johnson or Fluker
13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Xavier Rhodes, Cornerback, Florida State: Value meets need in this spot. Tampa Bay is in great need since trading away talented but troubled CB, Aqib Talib.
Other Possibility: DT Richardson, TE Eifert
14. Carolina Panthers – Sheldon Richardson, Defensive Tackle, Missouri: Sheldon Richardson is too good to pass up for the Panthers. They need help in the middle more than anything. With Sheriff Floyd and Star Lotuleluei picked Richardson is the clear choice.
Other Possibilities: DT Lotulelei, CB Rhodes
15. New Orleans Saints – Bjoern Werner, Defensive End, Florida State: The Saints are open to picking the best defensive player available with pass-rusher getting slight preference. With Vaccaro still available this will still be a difficult decision.
Other Possibilities: DE’s Ansah or Mingo, S Vaccaro
16. St. Louis Rams – Kenny Vaccaro, Safety, Texas: The Rams have 2 picks in round one and have 3 needs: OG, S, and WR. If Vaccaro is still available they will stick to a draft value formula and go Safety at #16 and hope to go WR at #22.
Other Possibilities: WR’s Patterson or Austin, OG Cooper
17. Pittsburgh Steelers – Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tenn: With the top pass rushers off the board Pittsburgh will have an easy choice to make. They have become dependent on their offense in recent years but will need a talented receiver to replace speedster Mike Wallace.
Other Possibilities: WR Austin, DE Jones
18. Dallas Cowboys – Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina: An unwritten rule in the NFL says don’t draft a an interior O-lineman with a first round pick. If Richardson or Lotulelei were still available this pick would be them. If Cooper (who is a better fit in Dallas than Warmack) is gone they will consider Fluker but they will most likely look to trade back. Dallas loves the DT’s and Safeties still available and slotted for the 20-40 range. Don’t get cute you say? We’re talking about Jerry Jones here. He always gets cute…
Other Possibilities: RT Fluker, DT Richardson, S Reid
19. New York Giants – DJ Fluker, RT, Alabama: NYG rejoice that Fluker has fallen past the Cowboys. With that said, there is a significant dropoff in talent between the 3rd rated OT in Lane Johnson and the 4th rated OT in Fluker. He’s overweight and unathletic who may prove to be a run blocking force and a pass blocking liability.
Other Possibilities: DE Montgomery, LB Ogletree
20. Chicago Bears – Alec Ogletree, Linebacker, Georgia: Alec has some major character issues but elite talent should trump all. He should be able to be a day one starter and provide an athletic presence in the Chicago Cover 2.
Other Possibilities: TE Eifert, DT Williams, OG Cooper