2013 NFL Mock Draft
11. San Diego Chargers – Lane Johnson, Offensive Tackle, Oklahoma: A big riser after the NFL Combine will be an immediate starter for the Chargers. The team must find out if Rivers is the problem or the offensive line is the problem. Sound familiar Cowboy fans?
12. Miami Dolphins – Ezekiel Ansah, DE/OLB, BYU: Expected to sign Mike Wallace in free agency the pass rush becomes the #1 need. It’s hard to believe Ziggy will fall this far but unless teams trade up into the 5-10 spots someone has to fall. It’s either Ansah or Werner.
13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Xavier Rhodes, Cornerback, Florida State: Value meets need in this spot. Tampa Bay is in great need since trading away talented but troubled CB, Aqib Talib.
14. Carolina Panthers – Sheldon Richardson, Defensive Tackle, Missouri: Sheldon Richardson is too good to pass up for the Panthers. They need help in the middle more than anything. With Sheriff Floyd picked and Star Lotuleluei removed from consideration Richardson is the clear choice. Cowboy fans shed a quick tear.
15. New Orleans Saints – Damontre Moore, Defensive End/Outside Linebacker, Texas A&M: The Saints are just thinking defense this draft. Moore was first projected as a top 5 pick but after a poor combine he finds himself slipping to the middle of the draft. Very similar to the Terrell Suggs draft and that seemed to work out well for the Ravens.
16. St. Louis Rams – DJ Fluker, Offensive Tackle, Alabama: The Rams are in position to gamble a little here because they have a second first round pick later in the draft. St Louis needs O-line help and receiver help more than anything. Value here is at OT but don’t rule out OG Cooper here either.
17. Pittsburgh Steelers – Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tenn: With the top pass rushers off the board Pittsburgh will have an easy choice to make. They have become dependent on their offense in recent years and will need a talented receiver to replace speedster Mike Wallace.
18. Dallas Cowboys – Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina: An unwritten rule in the NFL says don’t draft an interior O-lineman with a first rounder. Cooper and Warmack may be the exception to that rule. If Richardson or Fluker were still available this pick would be them in that order. If Cooper is also gone – expect the Cowboys to look at Short from Purdue or trade back.
19. New York Giants – Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU: With Cullen Jenkins in the middle, and Chris Canty and Osi Umenyiora out, NYG plans to reload their D Line. Sam Montgomery will man the strong side opposite Justin Tuck on the weak side. Not sexy but smart and safe. Top talent remains at safety and CB so they could also look there.
20. Chicago Bears – Tyler Eifert, Tight End, Notre Dame: The offensive line is priority #1 but with the top ones all gone they will turn their attention to Mr. Eifert. He will provide help in the pass game and run game and will be a day 1 starter in Chicago.