It seems my holding out until March and first observing how the Cowboys handle the roster has gone by the wayside. It would be ideal to wait for pre-draft roster adjustments, but let’s go ahead and crank this baby up.
As for the NFL combine, I’m not a big fan of consistently re-shuffling draft boards due to eye-popping combine results, etc.
If the player has new injury information, comes in out of shape and tests poorly, or is still determined by several teams as a serious character concern…adjustments will occur.
But for the most part, I overwhelmingly place the most stock in on-the-field performance, along with results versus tougher competition at the all-star games (Senior Bowl, Shrine Game, etc).
Game speed and skills can translate completely different from sprint dashes and weight lifting. Drills are not remotely close to the same situations and intensity as lining up in battle.
Since it is so early in the process and impossible to know what new holes the team will create or fill during roster adjustments in March-April, I’d like to put forth a few disclaimers…
1) Any of these picks may go higher or lower than I’ve selected them. Draft position is highly subjective at this time and will fluctuate considerably before April.
2) I researched several draft sites to find a likely selection area, then cross-referenced their value according to my opinions of their NFL potential.
3) This mock draft is my personal opinions of what the Cowboys SHOULD DO and not what I feel they will do.
4) My first mock draft is heavily based on two trades I feel would likely be advantageous to both parties and thus accepted. Depending on who is still on the board when the trades are offered would ultimately determine the likelihood in the end.
5) I’m a big believer in drafting ‘best available’ but ONLY at need positions. I won’t select the best running back in the draft when I don’t have an offensive line that can open a decent running lane for him.
Here we go…at this early stage the best we can do is research players and make sure to watch film. Film is crucial to forming one’s own opinions above reciting external evaluations.