Cowboys May Use Marion Barber Less in 2010

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said earlier this week that Marion Barber’s injuries are a concern of his and that the team may have little choice but to use him less next season.

Barber, who has yet to have a 1,000-yard season with the Cowboys, could even be cut this year.

Can you imagine that? Tim MacMahon of the Dallas Morning News says it makes sense to cut Barber, who signed a $45-million deal before the season started.

The Cowboys would be foolish not to make Felix Jones the lead horse in 2010. [Tashard] Choice is more than capable of serving as a complementary back, and unlike Barber, he’d fill that role at a reasonable price. The Cowboys can draft another back in the middle rounds to play special teams and back up Jones and Choice.

I am not sure I agree with MacMahon. Yes, the Cowboys have a problem at the running back position if they want to keep all three horses. But it is unlikely. Yet, making Felix Jones the chief running back is not necessarily a slam-dunk solution.

Cutting Barber may save the Cowboys some cash, but it leaves the team with no third running back. Choice has proven that he has as much strength as Barber, but he hasn’t been entirely healthy either.

The Cowboys have a very serious problem with having all of their running backs healthy. Cutting one is not a solution if the Cowboys goal is to win a Super Bowl. Your running backs are going to be only as good as the offensive line.

What position do the Cowboys need to strengthen the most? I say it is the offensive line, but cutting Barber is not the best way to do it.

The draft is.

Keep Barber and let’s win a Super Bowl in Cowboys Stadium in 2011.

Next Cowboys Game Full schedule »
Monday, Oct 2727 Oct7:30Washington RedskinsBuy Tickets

comments powered by Disqus