Tony Romo is focusing on wide receiver Roy Williams in the second drive of their preseason game tonight against the Tennesee Titans.
Williams, who is covered by pro bowler Cortland Finnegan, was shaky at first. He made a poor attempt at breaking up a near interception by Finnegan. But on three other plays, he was stronger than Finnegan. There was even a pass interference that the referees did not call.
Two great catches by Jason Witten, three good runs from Marion Barber that included a touchdown, put the Cowboys ahead of the Titans 7-0 after their second possession of the game.
This is the first game for the Cowboys in the new $1.2 billion stadium.
Some other first-string highlights and problems:
- A 72-yard kickoff return for Miles Austin was ruined by a Sam Hurd holding call. The call was questionable, however.
- Marion Barber was hitting the holes with some new speed.
- The kick-off return team gave up a huge return for the Titans second possession.
- One false start on the offense, and it wasn’t a lineman that did it.
- Patrick Crayton fumbled a punt return, but he was able to get the ball back.
- Bradie James had a nice third-down tackle to stop a Titan drive. He is also hitting players very hard. He will make the Pro Bowl this year.
- Mike Jenkins had a decent pass defense.
- Titans did zip on their second possession. The Dallas defense looked fast and aggressive.
- The Titans kicked a 47 yard field goal to make the score 7-3 Dallas.
I am taping the game so I can do some more highlight research later. The team looked pretty good on both sides of the ball, but the special teams is still a bit shaky. A fumble and a holding penalty on a punt and kick-off return, and a big kick-off return by the Titans.